2 medium eggplants sliced into 1/4-inch slices lengthwise
Juice from 2 lemons
1/2 block extra firm tofu, drained
3 Tbsp nutritional yeast
1/2 cup fresh basil, finely chopped
1 Tbsp dried oregano
3-4 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/2 tsp each salt & pepper
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
1 cup ricotta cheese
2 cloves garlic, minced
2-3 cups marinara red sauce
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. Salt eggplant slices on both sides and arrange in a colander in the sink to remove excess water for 15 minutes.
3. Rinse eggplant and dry thoroughly between paper towels. Lay a baking sheet on top and place something heavy on top to absorb excess moisture.
4. Arrange slices on 1-2 baking sheets in an even layer and bake in oven for 13-15 minutes. Set aside and reduce heat to 375 degrees.
5. While eggplant is baking, add all other ingredients except marinara sauce to food processor or blender and pulse to combine. Taste ad adjust seasonings as needed.
6. Pour 1 cup marinara sauce into a baking dish. Set aside.
7. Scoop generous amounts (about 3 Tbsp) of filling onto each eggplant slice and roll up. Place seam side down in the sauce-lined baking dish. Continue until all filling and eggplant strips are used up. Pour remaining sauce down the center of the rolls.
8. Bake for 15-23 minutes or until sauce is bubbly and warm and the top of the rolls are very slightly browned.
9. Serve immediately topped with additional parmesan cheese and fresh basil (optional).
Can be made into a vegan dish by replacing ricotta cheese with an additional 1/2 block extra firm tofu and replacing parmesan cheese with vegan parmesan cheese.